Monday, August 13, 2012

Harnessing Pedagogical Skills


        Final Reflection

The past week was supposed to be spent analyzing and assessing instruments and methodologies used in the classroom. With an interesting spin on the sojourn, the attention was redirected to me. I was taken aback based on the gaps in my own assessment process. My level of understanding was unconsciously placed under high scrutiny. So much of the seconds in the minutes were spent in a zone of retrospection, as I envisioned what would be needed for me to develop mature or sophisticated understanding.

       As educators, one of our core responsibilities is to prepare learners to pass national standardized exams. The reality is that we are judged based on the learning output of our students. As such, students are most times prepared for exams using rote learning.  Based on the new knowledge received, I am realizing that as facilitators, one is expected to be perceptive, responsive, empathetic, tolerant, compassionate and competent if we are going to prepare our learners for more than an exam but for life- long learning.

      There were various methods, processes and research introduced that would add depth, relevance and vigor to our learning experiences. Their use or implementation however is dependent on a number of factors. Some children are born with varying innate abilities and they present unique understandings to the learning environment based on  their own perceptions, realities and expectations. Similarly, as the potter fashions different types of clay using careful hands, so are we as facilitators expected to careful select instructional / assessment tools, processes and strategies to fit the learning need and style of each learner.  But will all these yield mature understanding?

     I can vividly remember the day we watched and analyzed the movie “Finding Nemo”. I found it ludicrous to know that my boys watch this movie over and over at home but I have never stopped to look at the details. Only to realize that it possessed a wealth of so many concepts that can be transferred to so many disciplines.  I pondered, to what extent am I making connections based on nature or things unrelated to my discipline? And what am I doing to close such gaps?

     The readings were wide, numerous and the required summaries intensified with each passing day. There was one night in particular when I was convinced that the need for sleep was nothing more than a concept. Sincerely the discussions from the community and the relaxed feeling to voice suggestions aided my understanding and fostered critical thinking.  One of  Alderian’s fundamental philosophies, is that “ we flourish where our relationships with others are based on co-operation and mutual respect.” Thankfully I am flourishing, as it has been affirmed that parents and other stakeholders are looking to “me” to foster diversity, respond to changes, integrate technology, promote active learning and lead learners to a point of self actualization.
    I have glanced through my rear view mirrors and I am now switching lanes to a more fulfilled learning highway.




No comments:

Post a Comment